FreeBSD/XFree questions

Cotton cottonlt at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 20:45:30 PDT 2003

Hey all,

First off, my *nix experience… I’ve run a few different distros on the
mac and PC just checking stuff out, but never full-time – definitely
still a newbie. I have an old P166 here that I want to set up as a
headless file server (mp3s, divx, documents)/web server/sendmail et al…
it won’t be hit too hard, anyway.

Will an old P166/64mb 66mhz SDRAM run FreeBSD 5.1 with X/KDE/Gnome ok?
Or should I forget about the GUI and just control it through ssh?

I was hoping XFree would be useable, so I could run some apps remotely
using Apple’s X11 on OS X. Which leads to question #2… how does one run
an X application remotely like that, and have just the GUI on the local
box? The machines would be on the same subnet 192.168.1.x, with the
FreeBSD box on an Ethernet interface and the Powermac (1.25 ghz
duallie) on 802.11g.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cotton