DNS using Name Service Switch module and Casper

Vasily Postnicov shamaz.mazum at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:25:59 UTC 2021

Brilliant! It took me almost a day to dive into ZeroMQ to reassure
myself that there is nothing wrong with it. When I tried to write
minimal test programs which call fork after pthread_create() in all
combinations. When I realized that NSS stub module is what I need.

Instructions:

1) Compile NSS stub module: cc -shared -fPIC -pthread -o
nss_zerodns.so.1 test.c (Note '.1' at the end).
2) Copy nss_zerodns.so.1 to /usr/local/lib
3) Apply the patch src_sbin_ping_main.c to ping source code. With this
patch ping will not quit too early when the initial call to
getaddrinfo() fails.
4) Add stub module to /etc/nsswitch.conf: edit 'hosts' line to be
'hosts: files dns zerodns'
5) Ping non-existent host, like 'ping foo.bar'
6) Ping will hang. The child process which it creates cannot be killed
even with killall -9 ping