IPv6 in jails

Jan Behrens jbe-mlist at magnetkern.de
Sat Mar 21 12:52:45 UTC 2020

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:35:02 +0700
Victor Sudakov <vas at sibptus.ru> wrote:

> Jan Behrens wrote:
> >
> > > Can you then do a jexec test4 and run service sshd restart and see if it
> > > starts working?
> >
> > I experienced the same problem as discussed in this thread when I set
> > up IPv6 with my server. Strangely, when I rebooted the host system and
> > simply started the jails one after the other (with a freshly booted
> > host system), the problem didn't occur, but maybe that was just random.
> >
> > A "service sshd restart" inside the jail always seemed to help, which
> > is why I also assumed there was some sort of race condition. But maybe
> > it is related to some addresses being in use yet when restarting a jail?
>
> Does this happen only with IPv6 jail addresses?

Yes, I did not notice any problem with the IPv4 addresses. When I do
"jexec -l <jailname> csh -l" and then enter "netstat -an", I see that
sometimes sshd does not listen on the configured IPv6 address but on the
configured IPv4 address.

Whenever this happens, I can solve it with "service sshd restart"
inside the jail.

It also does not seem to happen when I reboot the host system and start
the jails for the first time. In that case, sshd listens on both IPv4
and IPv6 (at least when I last tried, I'm not sure if this always
works).

> --
> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> 2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/