[Differential] D24989: netinet: Generate a random RSS key on boot.

damien.deville_stormshield.eu (Damien Deville) phabric-noreply at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 9 09:04:21 UTC 2020

damien.deville_stormshield.eu added a comment.

  Hi everyone,

  At stormshield we are using a similar hand-made patch so i can give you some feedback about this feature.

  We support symmetric and non-symmetric static or random rss key, using the following systctls:

  - net.inet.rss.random
  - net.inet.rss.symmetric (using a 16bit pattern)
  - net.inet.rss.symmetric_byte0 + net.inet.rss.symmetric_byte1 (to force the 16bits pattern to make the hash symmetric)

  We were also forced to add a reseed sysctl proc after noticing that the initial entropy is too low during rss key init, and we call it after boot just before loading our network kernel modules. Before this we had some product that were using RSS key that fail to provide proper distribution of packets. This change was made before we start using the initial entropy feature of the loader so i am not sure if it is still relevant.

  If some of you have interest i can share our patch (in private) which only support the rss_getkey() API and not all the other rss_xxx functions has we are not using them in our codebase.

  Damien for Stormshield.

REPOSITORY
  rS FreeBSD src repository

CHANGES SINCE LAST ACTION