making SCTP loadable and removing it from GENERIC

Michael Tuexen tuexen at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 9 19:41:32 UTC 2020

> On 9. Jul 2020, at 21:01, Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.net> wrote:
>
> 09.07.2020 23:59, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>
>>> This may be relaxed with "sctp_enable" knob for /etc/rc.conf and new startup script
>>> /etc/rc.d/sctp that: a) REQUIRE: kld; b) checks if sctp.ko already loaded and load it as needed;
>>> c) applies sctp sysctl tuning from /etc/sysctl.conf for values that differ.
>> The only difference between this and loading it from /boot/loader.conf I see
>> is that the above also works on some PPC platforms. Am I missing something?
>
> This is mostly optimization issue as kld_list from /etc/rc.conf is processed
> when kernel is up and running so file system cache is engaged to cache directories etc.
> Loader reads modules much slower especially for slow media like CompactFlash.
OK. Thank you for the explanation.

> Also, some platforms like MIPS32 using U-Boot have no loader at all.
> U-Boot may start kernel directly.
I know. The only platform I'm personally affected is 64-bit PPC using
petitboot. But I can compile SCTP in the kernel and have no problem
with this limitation.

However, loading with kld_list and Marks patch to run sysctl initialisation
after that would be a perfect fit for an SCTP module. I really like that,
but I have no idea whether this fits in the architecture or not...

Best regards
Michael