IPSec transport mode, mtu, fragmentation...

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Jan 18 10:55:34 UTC 2020

Here: http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/ftp-pcap.tar.gz you can find two
identical FTP sessions, the only difference being ipsec=off during one
session and ipsec=on during the other one.

As I said, in both the sessions MSS=1460 which is already odd, and I
can't explain to myself why file transfer still works without MSS
ajustment.

Moreover, something fishy is happening in the encrypted session: there
are many TCP retransmissions (I was capturing on the FTP server's side,
so there are many segments with the same sequence number). How would you
explain this? There are almost no retransmissions in the unencrypted session.

All this is happening in a lab environment (one bhyve VM is an FTP
server and the other downloads a file from the first), both VMs are on
the same bridge interface. There are almost 19,000 packets in the
encrypted file vs 12,000 in the plain file, I think because of those
excessive retransmissions.

Could the retransmissions be some artifact of the enc(4) interface I was
capturing the encrypted session on?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/