IPSec transport mode, mtu, fragmentation...

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Thu Jan 16 15:53:16 UTC 2020

Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> > I prepared the PoC patch that should fix the problem with TCP and
> > transport mode IPsec. But I have not free time currently to properly
> > test and debug it. It is only compile-tested. But If you want, you can
> > try :)
> > Currently only IPv4 support is implemented.
> >
> > https://people.freebsd.org/~ae/ipsec_transport_mode_ctlinput.diff
>
> In fact, I've faced this problem long time ago too and I work around it with different approaches
> like "ipfw tcp-setmss" (MSS adjust) or by using IPSec transport mode
> with gif(4) interface removing DF bit out of encapsulated packets.
>
> I was going to test your patch with my home router but the patch does not apply to stable/11, at all.
> Do you have time to adjust it to stable/11 ?

What beats me is that I cannot reproduce this problem in bhyve. In this
packet dump: http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/ipsec1.pcap.gz I'm scp-ing a
50M file from 192.168.246.10 (bhyve guest) to 192.168.246.1 (bhyve
host), and I see no fragments, and the largets packet is 1466 bytes, and
the scp never stalls nor fails.

Why is it NOT broken this time?

Both hosts are 12.1-RELEASE-p1.

--