replacement of security/ipsec-tools

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Mon Jan 13 16:26:57 UTC 2020

Karl Denninger wrote:

[dd]

> Strongswan works fine with Win10 HOWEVER note that Windows 10 until
> somewhat recently (last summer, I believe) and ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS
> (e.g. Win7, 8, etc.) had a SEVERE problem with IkeV2 connections, which

Karl,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info. I may need it one day.

For the present, however, I'm interested not in an IPSec VPN (in Windows
terminology) but in a simple transport mode IPSec between a FreeBSD and a
Windows host.

My only option for that is IKEv1 because IKEv2 is configured on Windows
10 and Windows 2016 from PowerShell only, and I need to configure a
secure connection via Group Policy editor (mmc). I'm still too weak of
heart to use PowerShell for IPSec setup.

I have this working successfully with racoon (on pre-shared keys) and am
investigating the possibility to replace racoon with strongswan.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/