wireguard implementation in progress with zero coordination or communication with wireguard project? can we help?

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 18 15:33:21 UTC 2020

Hi Jason -
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I can’t count the number of nascent
kernel projects that have come up in discussion over the years and
ultimately come to nothing.

I started by getting the OpenBSD bits to build on FreeBSD. However, the
implementation in Open is not really a very good semantic match for
FreeBSD. So I often have to check what the Linux one is doing as well and
sometimes the NetBSD one. Ultimately, apart from struct definitions, very
little code will be shared between the platforms. I don’t see a whole lot
of benefit to coordination until I can configure a Wireguard interface and
there is at least the possibility of passing packets. At that point,
presumably in the next month or so, I would very much welcome any time you
can spare to audit and provide feedback.

Cheers.