HyperV socket review and AF_HYPERV socket number

Wei Hu weh at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 17 12:46:19 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'd like to invite you to review the FreeBSD implementation of HyperV socket support. The review is at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24061.

In particular, I'd like to ask if it is ok to choose socket number 43 for AF_HYPERV type. There are such comments in sys/socket.h:

/*
 * When allocating a new AF_ constant, please only allocate
 * even numbered constants for FreeBSD until 134 as odd numbered AF_
 * constants 39-133 are now reserved for vendors.
*/

I am not sure if Microsoft is qualified as vendor or not. Socket number 43 is a good number for this type since it is the same as Linux.

Please send your comments directly to me as I am not a subscriber of this alias.

Thanks,
Wei