dummynet performance

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Thu Apr 9 09:44:00 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:18 AM Özkan KIRIK <ozkan.kirik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to update dummynet code multi-threading capable
> practically?
> My idea is below:
> - A new sysctl tunable will be defined as
> "net.inet.ip.dummynet.thread_count" (default 1)
> - To distribute tasks along threads, each sched instance can be assigned to
> different thread.

What are you trying to achieve ? In general, the scheduler needs to
know the state of all flows to perform correct scheduling of traffic.
You could in principle split the load on multiple threads under specific,
very restrictive conditions (each thread runs a different scheduler, they
cannot share the excess bandwidth, and the total bw does not exceed the
link's capacity, each scheduler has a different queue on the NIC).

cheers
luigi