Is there an way for a program to know when the list of network interfaces has changed (without rescanning them)?

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Mon Jul 29 14:17:16 UTC 2019

> I am asking because wireshark doesn't sense the interface list changes,
> and it just always shows the list from the time it was launched .

I am cc'ing Michael Tuexen <tuexen at FreeBSD.org>,
both a FreeBSD and long time wireshare developer.

I see there has been at least 2 ways proposed to you for
doing this, I would suggest using the route socket as the
prefered method as that should be some what portable
accross all the BSD type platforms, a devd solution would
be FreeBSD specific.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org