NAT64 return traffic vanishes after successful de-alias

Chris bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Sat Dec 14 22:15:03 UTC 2019

On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 14:54:26 -0500 John W. OBrien john at saltant.com said

> Hello FreeBSD Networking,
>
> As the subject summarizes, I have a mostly-working NAT64 rig, but return
> traffic is disappearing, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I
> observe the post-translation (4-to-6) packets via ipfwlog0, but a simple
> ipfw counter rule ipfw matches nothing.
>
> My attempt to develop a minimum reproducible example failed in the sense
> that I did not reproduce the problem. Of course, this implies that one
> of the many differences between the simplified test (EC2 instance, two
> jails) and the problem rig (physical server, lagg, vlans, other things
> going on) is the cause.
>
> What I am hoping this list can help me with is being smart about what I
> try next. Otherwise, I would probably just try to brute force a solution
> by thinking of ways to permute the config that would rule each possible
> difference in or out.
>
> So far my main troubleshooting tools have been ipfw for its rule
> counters and nat64lsn stats output, netstat to look at fibs, and tcpdump
> pointed at real and diagnostic interfaces. What debugging tools and
> techniques should I employ to do better than brute force?
>
> If it would help, I would gladly share the working, EC2/jail demo
> configs on the list. Sharing the non-working configs I would prefer to
> do privately or not at all.
>
> This is on 12.1-RELEASE.
>
> Thank you,

pf(4) is pretty close to metal, and would probably be a good candidate for
acquiring the type of statistics your hoping to find; pfctl(8), pfctl -s,
and pfctl -T are a few examples.

HTH

--Chris