TCP 3-way-handshake fails

Axel Rau Axel.Rau at Chaos1.DE
Tue Dec 10 10:42:16 UTC 2019

Hi all

I have a fancy behaviour on a FreeBSD 12.1 box, with
some servers (e.g. rsyslogd, nginx) which happens with
some clients, with others not (both are in the same sub-
nets). Everything is dualstack. Disabling IPv6, stops
the problem.
The traffic is routed via 2 firewalls OpenBSD 6.6)
and a VPN.

I attach 2 textfiles (tcpdump) with an extracted flow:

gw1, the OpenBSD side
db3: the FreeBSD side

I also include an example, where the problem
does not happen: db3,ok.txt

Which details needs to be collected to insulate
the problem?

Any help is very welcome,
Axel