pf (rules and nat) + (ipfw + dummynet)

Goran Mekić meka at tilda.center
Sun Aug 18 09:33:54 UTC 2019

Hello,

If I knew we almost made it compile and boot (with dummynet, pf and pflog loaded),
I would postpone the previous email. :o)

The code I'm working on is https://github.com/mekanix/freebsd/tree/feature/pf+dummynet/12.0.
It is nothing more than releng/12.0 branch into which I copied parts of PFSense
code until it started working. I still don't know how to test it, as I'm not
sure what's the PFSense's syntax for pf.conf. I know you can use "ipfw
pipe list" to show the pipes without ipfw module loaded. Once loaded,
ipfw lets you manage dummynet. What I do for now is load ipfw, set the
pipes, unload ipfw.

If anyone knows how to configure pf.conf so that it passes everything
it receives to dummynet, I'm all ears. I will "fork" /sbin/ipfw and
create /sbin/dnctl so we don't have to depend on IPFW at all, but I
would like it to start working like this, first.

My concerns about this patch is that it changes IPFW, too. I don't know
if the following link is visible if you're not logged into github, but
it shows the difference between releng/12.0 and this branch:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/compare/releng/12.0...mekanix:feature/pf+dummynet/12.0?expand=1

Anyway, my priority is to make it work somehow, then clean it up, port
to -CURRENT and only then write dnctl.

As always, all help is more than welcome as this is my first kernel
development task ever.

Regards,
meka