bridge interface vs. altq

G. Paul Ziemba pz-freebsd-net at ziemba.us
Sun Oct 28 02:57:00 UTC 2018

I recently upgraded a system from FreeBSD 9.2 to 12.1-BETA1 and found
that pf on the new system complained that my bridge interface did not
support ALTQ (worked fine on 9.2)

The new kernel is built with

    OPtions         ALTQ
    options         ALTQ_CBQ
    options         ALTQ_CODEL
    options         ALTQ_RED
    options         ALTQ_RIO
    options         ALTQ_HFSC
    options         ALTQ_CDNR
    options         ALTQ_PRIQ
    options         ALTQ_FAIRQ
    options         ALTQ_NOPCC

and it seems to have no issues configuring altq on "re" and "dc"
interfaces.

I searched but could not find any mention of removal of altq support
from "bridge," and in fact the current handbook seems to indicate
it is supported [www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-bridging.html]:

    Note: Packet filtering can be used with any firewall package
    that hooks into the pfil(9) framework. The bridge can be used
    as a traffic shaper with altq(4) or dummynet(4).

What am I missing?

thanks!
--
G. Paul Ziemba