why rtsold ?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:13:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:01 AM Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
> > On 9/29/18 10:20 PM, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > > When running FreeBSD as an IPv6 host im SLAAC mode, is
> > > "rtsold_enable=YES" really necessary? I did not enable rtsold and IPv6
> > > still works fine only with
> >
> > rtsold is needed to write DNS server address from RDNSS RA option to
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > man rtsold
> > /-R
>
> On my test IPv6-only host, /etc/resolv.conf was successfully created
> without any explicit "rtsold_enable=YES".
>
> --
> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> 2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Remember that DHCPv6 can provide DNS server and other information even when
SLAAC is used for address configuration. If it is, it is possible to run
SLAAC without rtsold, but it may not prove stable as it is not possible to
deal with router changes after network startup. (I do run rtsold on my
laptop even though I only need it when not connecting to my home network
and that net supports IPv6.)
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com