Testing VF/PF code

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:45:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:58 PM Sean Bruno <sbruno at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have a process for testing the VF drivers (ixgbe igb, etc)
> in FreeBSD without actually firing up linux to instantiate a VM or using
> EC2?

We have native support for creating VFs for ixl and ixgbe (and cxgbe).
For igb you're out of luck (but SR-IOV on igb is kind of a waste of
time anyway)

To create the VFs, create the following conf file:

ix0.conf:

PF {
    device : "ix0";
    num_vfs : 4;
 }

You can create the VFs with "iovctl -f ix0.conf -C"

You should see 4 new ixgbevf instances show up in the PCI tree and the
driver should attach.  The one caveat here is that I'm not sure of the
state of the ixgbe PF implementation -- some people reported issues
with it a while back, and I'm not sure if they were ever resolved.
ixl should be solid, though.