Does FreeBSD do proactive ARP refresh?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Mar 19 11:31:02 UTC 2018

> >>  And thank you for that suggestion! The packet loss during ARP refresh
> >>  (of the destination address connected to the output interface) does
> >>  *not* happen when the box is forwarding! It only happens with locally
> >>  generated traffic.
> Should be fixed by r331098.

I can confirm that 12.0-CURRENT with the r331098 updates fixes this
problem for me for locally generated traffic. The ARP entry seems to
be refreshed around 4 seconds before expiry, and there is no packet
loss.

Transit traffic (non locally generated) also works as before, the ARP
entry is refreshed before expiry and there is no packet loss.

Thanks for the quick fix! Now waiting for the MFC :-)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no