sysctl for carp and pfsync on boot

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Fri Aug 24 11:16:18 UTC 2018

Hi!

> Am 24.08.2018 um 12:43 schrieb Kajetan Staszkiewicz <vegeta at tuxpowered.net>:
>
> On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 17:11:59 CEST Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>> Am 22.08.2018 um 17:00 schrieb Kajetan Staszkiewicz
>>> <vegeta at tuxpowered.net>: Is there a preferred way to configure sysctls
>>> for modules loaded from kld_list?
>>
>> We found the same problem in our setup making extensive use of if_bridge.
>>
>> Now we simply load that module early via loader.conf - all sysctls available
>> right away.
>
> I'm pretty sure this did not work for me, not for pfsync module at least.
> Where did you put your sysctls? /boot/loader.conf? Maybe order of modules
> being loaded matters? Like pfsync loaded before carp maybe.

Modules that you need at boot time go into /boot/loader.conf.
Sysctl go into /etc/sysctl.conf.

> Nevertheless this looks like a bug for me. Hackery with bootloader does not
> seem like a real solution. There might be good reasons to not load modules at
> boot.

This is not hackery, IMHO. When I need a module in production, why would I
not want to load it at boot?

The technical background is that if the module is not loaded, the sysctls are simply
not there. The MIB (so to speak) comes with the kernel subsystem that is responsible
for it.

HTH,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100