igb0 sometimes consume 100% of 4 cores for not-too-heavy traffic

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 19 13:03:12 UTC 2017

 I have system on SuperMicro MoBo with built-in I210 adapters. CPU is
E3-1220v3, 4 cores, and igb0 driver creates 4 queues.

 FreeBSD version is 11.1-STABLE r324205.

 Sometimes system becomes very unresponsive and igb0 queues consume 100%
of CPU for tens of minutes.

  System doesn't have any firewall, NAT or other additional network
processing.

  I don't believe, that it is normal behavior, because only possible
load on this server at these moments is torrents, which could not be
more than 100MBit/s (my connection to Internet).

  100% of 4 cores of E3-1220v3 for 50-60Mbit/s? Really? Looks like  a bug.

--
// Lev Serebryakov