Netmap with bonded interfaces

Vincenzo Maffione v.maffione at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 04:39:11 UTC 2017

Hi,
  It is an expected behaviour that you cannot open eth4 and eth5 if they
are bond, as the device are being used by the lagg pseudo-driver.
Since this driver does not have netmap support for the moment being, there
is no way you can get the native mode performance if you use lagg.

If you just need some failover in your application, you could just
implement a simple failover mechanism in your application (e.g. the
application opens both netmap:eth4 and netmap:eth5, and decides which one
to use for transmission depending on which one is up...).

Cheers,
  Vincenzo

> Hi all,
>
> I have a bonded interface bond0 which enslaves eth4 and eth5. When trying
> to open the devices eth4 or eth5 via netmap, I get a "device in use" error.
> Opening the bond0 interface directly in netmap works, however it is in
> emulated mode (as expected of a pseudointerface)
>
> What is the idiomatic way to proceed in such a situation, without
> compromising on speed?
>
> Thanks

Vincenzo Maffione