listening sockets as non sockets

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:36:58 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw at zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 11:09:29PM +0800, Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
>
>> > Can I use per-connection Lua script (for delays and url generation)?
>> > Not per-thread. I am need to emulate many client connections (about
>> > 10K-40K).
>> > Currently I am have some trouble w/ >20K connections.
>>
>> I didn't try the Lua script.  Make sure to low the MSL on the box
>> running wrk, e.g. 10ms.  Well, I'd recommend you to run 15K concurrent
>> connections on one testing box.
>
> Thanks!
> Can you explain some more this recomendations?

If you don't lower MSL, too many sockets will sit in TIMED_WAIT state
on the testing client, which consumes local port space.  Local port
space depletion == wrk can do more requests.

15K concurrent connection on each client box is a heuristic to make
sure local ports can be recycled timely.  You need to figure out your
value on the testing box.  But, normally, 15K ~ 10K is doable on each
client machine for a given server.

> PS: I am run wrk w/ '--connreqs 600'

Well, nginx's default setting is 100 requests/connection :).  I use
--connreqs 1 to generate "short-lived" connection bomb.

Thanks,
sephe

--
Tomorrow Will Never Die