mlx4en, timer irq @100%...

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:59:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

Not sure this is the right list, but as it seems related to a mlx4en device...

# vmstat -i 1
(...)
interrupt                          total       rate
cpu23:timer                         1198       1127

# top -P ALL
(...)
CPU 23:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  100% interrupt,  0.0% idle

# netstat -I mlxen0 -d -w 1
            input         mlxen0           output
   packets  errs idrops      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls drops
(and not output at all, same for mlxen1 !)

# uname -sr
FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9

So, as you can see, one of my CPUs is used at 100% by timer interrupts,
since about 2 hours, and suddenly.
Initiating network connections to this server is now slow.
And what I found is that I can't use netstat on my 2 mlx4en devices anymore
(my monitoring tool is then no more fed).

sysctl hw.mlxen0 is OK, no errors, and trafic counters grow slowly.

What should I do ?
How to investigate on this ?

Thank you very much for your help & support,

Best regards,

Ben