Requesting help in Netmap build on Linux Ubuntu-12.04

Harsha Navada navada at usc.edu
Tue Nov 29 00:55:00 UTC 2016

Hello ,

I’m new to netmap where I’m trying to insert netmap.ko module after compiling my kernel and I’m shown with the following error:

netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

Here are the steps and different methods I followed:

I. Compile Kernel 3.2.0

1. My Ubuntu 12.04 machine has a kernel version 3.2.0-90-generic, so i got the linux source by:
	sudo apt-get source linux-source-3.2.0
2. Then i work on trying to compile the kernel
	a. sudo make menuconfig — Keep default config
	b. sudo sed -i s/CONFIG_RTS5139=m/CONFIG_RTS5139=n/ .config  - to avoid compilation errors
	c. sudo make clean
	d. sudo make -j10
	e. sudo make bzImage
	f. sudo make modules
	g.sudo make modules_install
	h. sudo make install
	i. sudo update-grub2
	j. sudo reboot.
2 b. On checking kernel version using name -r , this is the kernel version - 3.2.79

3. Then i download the netmap-master branch from git and upload it to my machine , cannot use git clone as it doesn’t support external connections.
4.Unzipping the bundle and switch to LINUX folder to run ./configure
5. Here i received errors where netmap-master/LINUX/drivers/ext-patch couldn’t be downloaded due to failure to connect.
6. I downloaded these drivers and placed them in that path.
7. I received a warning telling cannot find complete kernel sources, which i referenced later as
	./configure —kernel-sources = /lib/modules/linux-source-(uname -r)/build
8. Then after clearing all warning and errors, the generated netmap.ko file I try to insert , which gives me the error
 netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

II. Avoid kernel compliation
1. Then i download the netmap-master branch from git and upload it to my machine , cannot use git clone as it doesn’t support external connections.
2.Unzipping the bundle and switch to LINUX folder to run ./configure
3. Here i received errors where netmap-master/LINUX/drivers/ext-patch couldn’t be downloaded due to failure to connect.
4. I downloaded these drivers and placed them in that path.
5. I received a warning telling cannot find complete kernel sources, which i referenced later as
	./configure —kernel-sources = /lib/modules/linux-source-(uname -r)/build
6. Then after clearing all warning and errors, the generated netmap.ko file I try to insert , which gives me the error
 netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

III. Tried switching to FreeBSD
	Cannot download the FreeBSD 10.2 image due to security reasons mentioned in git / wget.

I’m totally stuck for the past 2 weeks and would appreciate help on this.

Thanks