Looking for some help with netmap/bhyve

Vincenzo Maffione v.maffione at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:33:12 UTC 2016

> Hi,
>

> I've recently been trying to boot up several bhyves so that I can test
> netmap communication between instances. The problem is, no matter what
> configuration I try, the guest vm running in bhyve completely hangs and
> becomes unusable as soon as a packet hits the netmap interface. When
> testing with pkt-gen, the TX side successfully starts sending packets, but
> the RX side will reliable freeze with the only option being killing the
> bhyve process.
>

> The bhyve command used for the above test was:
>

>     bhyve -c 1 -s 0,hostbridge -s 1,lpc -s 2,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/zroot/viper1vol
>   -s 3,virtio-net,tap0,mac=00:01:23:45:67:83 -s 4,virtio-net,tap4 -l
> com1,/dev/nmdm0A -A -H -P -m 6g viper1 &
>     bhyve -c 1 -s 0,hostbridge -s 1,lpc -s 2,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/zroot/viper2vol
>   -s 3,virtio-net,tap1,mac=00:01:23:45:67:84 -s 4,virtio-net,tap5 -l
> com1,/dev/nmdm1A -A -H -P -m 6g viper2
>
> For this test the host OS was FreeBSD-11.0-p3 and the guest OS was
> FreeBSD-11.0-p3.
>
> After failing to get this solution working, I pulled down the source from
> the following url and installed it on the host box:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/socsvn/soc2016/vincenzo/head/
>
> I then ran the following commands to try and bring up the machines using
> the ptnetmap interface (the guest still running 11.0p3) :
>
>     bhyve -c 1 -s 0,hostbridge -s 1,lpc -s 1:1,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/zroot/viper1vol
>   -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0,mac=00:01:23:45:67:83 -s 2:1,ptnetmap-memdev -s
> 2:2,ptnet,vale0:0 -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A -A -H -P -m 6g viper1 &
>     bhyve -c 1 -s 0,hostbridge -s 1,lpc -s 1:1,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/zroot/viper2vol
>   -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap1,mac=00:01:23:45:67:84 -s 2:1,ptnetmap-memdev -s
> 2:2,ptnet,vale0:1 -l com1,/dev/nmdm1A -A -H -P -m 6g viper2
>
> With the above commands the vm's fail to boot with the following message:
>
> ptnet_init: failed to get ptnetmap
>
> Output in /var/log/messages seems to just show the ptnetmap driver
> allocating one RX/TX ring for each vm, while bringing the device up, the
> device then goes down and the above error is seen in the console.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong with regards to running netmap or
> ptnetmap within a bhyve? Any pointers in the right direction will be much
> appreciated!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Steven

Hi Steven,

  The code you are looking at is the final code released by my gsoc 2016
project at the end of August 2016. However, I've been working on that for a
while after the gsoc, so that code is not updated anymore. My modification
basically involves two subsystems: netmap and bhyve.

The updates to netmap are already available in HEAD. The updates to bhyve
are not yet upstream, as we are in the process to review that with the
bhyve maintainers.

Anyway, you need two sources to get the latest code:
1) https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap for the latest netmap code, that
you could also compile as an external kernel module.
2) https://github.com/vmaffione/freebsd to get the updates to bhyve (and
vmm.ko). You can use this as the host system. There are two branches here:
ptnet-10.3, and ptnet-head. My original code was developed under FreeBSD
10.3, so a first possibility is to try this as the host system (using the
ptnet-10.3 branch). The other branch (ptnet-head) contains a porting of the
work to a recent version of HEAD. I would be very glad if you could test
the code also on FreeBSD 11.

We support two combinations of bhyve networking with netmap:

  (A) virtio-net + netmap: that is something like "-s
2:0,virtio-net,vale0:0" in the bhyve command line.
  (B) ptnet + ptnetmap: that is something like "-s 2:1,ptnetmap-memdev -s
2:2,ptnet,vale0:0" in the bhyve command line.

so you may want to try A first (netmap backend in user-space, slower) and
then B (netmap backend in kernel-space, faster).

Sorry about the confusion on the code repositories, I'll try also to update
the wiki page (and/or the gsoc svn repo) to reflect these updates. It's
perfectly ok for me to discuss these issues here in the ML, however for
more detailed/low-level discussion and support about problems you are
running into, feel free to open Github issues here https://github.com/
luigirizzo/netmap.

Cheers,
  Vincenzo

> [Stream Logo]
>

> Steven Crangle
>

> Systems Developer | Stream Technologies | Glasgow, UK
>

> [http://www.stream-technologies.com/img/phone.png]
>

> +44 (0)844 800 8520
>

> [http://www.stream-technologies.com/img/mouse.png]
>

> www.stream-technologies.com<http://www.stream-technologies.com/>