bhyve with vlans - host and vm can't pass traffic

Ruben mail at osfux.nl
Sun May 15 23:41:52 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

It turns out that my predicament (incorrect _tcp_ connectivity between
guest and host, but correct tcp connectivity between guest and rest of
network) was probably being caused by a combination of both using the
lagg driver, the intel em driver, and probably vlan traffic (an old post
(finally) pointed me towards a solution :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/7668 ).

tcpdump -vvv on the related tap / vtnet interfacs showed a lot of
checksum errors specifically related to tcp traffic (icmp was fine) and
after disabling tso4, lro and hardware vlan tagging for both the lagg
and the nics making up the lagg interface, my ordeal was over.

I just added these directives to the server's specific rc.conf ifconfig_
lines :

-vlanhwtag -lro -tso

eg:

ifconfig_em0="up media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex -tso4 -lro
-vlanhwtag"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport em0 -tso4 -lro -vlanhwtag"

And (after a reboot) everything started working like a charm.

So: my problem was not bhyve related, but rather to the networking stack
/ specific drivers (and my "combination" of using them ofc).

Kind regards / sorry for polluting this bhyve thread,

Ruben