ARP table entries / ifconfig needs to be issued twice when moving IP

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Tue Jun 21 06:48:09 UTC 2016

Michael Gmelin [2016-06-21 02:27 +0200] :

> I'm not sure if it's just me being tired, but I'm facing the following
> problem on 10.3-RELEASE when moving an IPv4 alias from one host to
> the other. This is an example of what I'm seeing:
[...]
> It's still in the arp table as a non-permanent entry, pointing to the
> Box 1.
>
> Box 2: Issue ifconfig once more:
[...]
> Now it's set to the local ethernet address in the arp table
> permanently.

Reminds me of what I encountered recently with two virtual
machines at my provider. I haven't further dug into this, as
I didn't check `arp -an`, but what I saw was switching an IP
address from hosts A to B resulted in pings from host C to arrive
at A. Host C said they got lost while tcpdump showed incoming
packets at A although they should have gone to B.

    Niklaas