DHCPv6 Support in FreeBSD Base

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 9 22:10:22 UTC 2016

David Bright <david_a_bright at dell.com> wrote
  in <6224EC83-3A81-4CE7-83C5-674628F38958 at DELL.com>:

da> Following up on a conversation I started today at BSDCan
da> 2016/DevSummit.
da>
da> I’d like to see support for DHCPv6 in the base system. I have made
da> modifications to network.subr and the rc.d init scripts to allow
da> configuring a network interface to use DHCPv6 in a manner very similar
da> to that currently used for DHCPv4. This works assuming that you have a
da> DHCPv6 client. For the purposes of my development I used the ISC
da> client from ports.
da>
da> These changes were based on 10.0-RELEASE and I am in the process of
da> adapting these changes to 11 so they can be pushed upstream. However,
da> they will be unusable (albeit harmless) in the base system without a
da> client.
da>
da> * Is there any barrier to updating the dhclient in base to the current
da> * ISC dhclient for both DHCPv4 & DHCPv6?

 dhclient in the base system was diverged from ISC code base long time
 ago.  So "updating it" is not so simple.  I am concerned that by
 replacing it completely we might be going to lose accumulated
 improvements in our code though I do not have a complete list of them
 nor closely look into the current ISC's code.  If no one investigated
 it, it need to be done.

da> * Is there any barrier to replacing the current dhclient-script with
da> * that that accompanies the ISC dhclient?
da>     The two scripts are quite different and my DHCPv6 changes currently
da>     are based on the ISC dhclient-script.

 Is it difficult for us to think two clients for IPv4 and IPv6
 respectively?  Importing a DHCPv6-only client looks much easier even
 if we use ISC's code.

 And, I personally think a similar way to network.subr for configuring
 DHCPv6 is not enough in practice because DHCPv6 client is typically
 triggered by RA or a combination with IPV6CP in PPP.

 I also like to see a DHCPv6 client in the base system, but I would
 like some more discussion about which implementations we can/want to
 use and typical use cases before it happens.  Probably others have
 their own opinion.

-- Hiroki