Getting CARP to broadcast on a different interface

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Jun 8 16:03:02 UTC 2016

Hi Niklaas,

Rewriting the multicast destination would be a neat trick, but sadly no.
You can't rewrite a destination address on egress. Using a route-to rule
would only modify the destination MAC address. If you were using
OpenBSD, you would switch from multicast to unicast using the syncpeer
option. Unfortunately that's not supported on FreeBSD.

At one point I wrote a broadcast relay daemon to forward select UDP
broadcast traffic between two networks separated by an IPsec tunnel. It
had limited utility, but it worked well for what I needed it to do. I
wonder if someone has written a multicast relay daemon that works in a
similar fashion. If so, you could use it to forward CARP traffic to a
peer. Super ugly, but it would probably do the trick in this scenario.

-Matthew