Is there any plan to support GRO

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 03:09:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 11 January 2016 at 18:18, Hongjiang Zhang <honzhan at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Hiren,
>
> Thanks for your information. I found some information from internet (https://lwn.net/Articles/358910/), which talks the difference of LRO and GRO on Linux, and it also points out some shortcomings of LRO: breaks things if system works as a router.
>
> So, how about LRO in FreeBSD?
> Could you please share the plan for LRO improvement?

It'd be relatively easy to add extra field checks to the LRO code to
support the extra sanity checks the Linux GRO implementation is doing.

We already do some basic sanity checks to ensure the packets are part
of the same TCP stream. I don't know about things like VLANs that have
been decapsulated by the NIC; that's likely worth investigating and
fixing. But yes, adding more sanity checks isn't hard.

Patches gratefully accepted. :)

-adrian