question about fopen fd limit

Hongjiang Zhang honzhan at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 23 10:17:50 UTC 2016

Ok. I know.
There are two possible solutions:

  1.  Quick solution for short term: modify short to int in libc by yourself, buildworld and installworld. Pushing to modify libc may take a long time, especially only few people encounter this issue. You’d better send email to freebsd-current to confirm whether they accept your suggestion.
  2.  Work around: You can first reserve a series of fd before opening TCP connections. For example, invoke open(“/dev/null”) for 10000 times to get 10000 fds. Those fd values are small enough to be held by “short”. After that, start TCP connections. Once you need to fopen a file, please call open(“xxx”) instead, and then use dup2(old_fd, new_fd) to exchange the two fd. The old_fd value is the one obtained by open(“xxx”), and new_fd is one in your reserved fd fields, and next please use fdopen(fd, mode). Here, you have to manage the reserved fds by yourself including open/close.

In my eyes:

  1.  is the quick method, and there is no modifications in your logic.
  2.  Needs you to maintain the reserved consecutive fields for fd by yourself, which increased the complexity of your logic.

Thanks
Hongjiang Zhang