Trouble with ipv6 routing through interface

Andrey V. Elsukov ae at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 17 16:39:35 UTC 2016

On 16.12.2016 03:24, Anderson Soares Ferreira wrote:
> I have a freebsd 11 box running as my network gateway and I’m having
> some trouble trying to route ipv6 packets through an interface with
> only linklocal address. In short, what I’m doing is:
>
> My freebsd gateway has one global scope address on lo0 interface,
> each other interface has only a link local address fe80::1. Static
> routes for the global scope subnets have been created, Each route was
> created using the command:
>
> # route -6 add -net <net address>/64 -interface <dev>
>
> The clients on each subnet have a global scope address and fe80::1 as
> default gateway.
>
> What is happening with this approach is that my gateway can’t reach
> the clients on the subnets. Ping tests from the gateway to the client
> return the error "ping6: sendmsg: No buffer space available”. On the

Hi,

this ENOBUFS error is returned from ND6 code. Due to the lack of
prefixes, layer2 doesn't consider that destination address is a neighbor.

> other hand, when I try to do a ping from client to gateway, the
> packets from the client are received by the gateway but no response
> is sent. In my tests using a linux gateway with the same approach,
> everything worked fine .

I'm not sure how this should be fixed.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov