Persist ifconfig aliases after disconnect

Matthew Smith maaattss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:57:04 UTC 2016

Hi all, on my FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE server I have a few jails running.

To assign them IP addresses, I set aliases on the interface:
    ifconfig_re0_alias0="inet 192.168.1.200 netmask 0xffffffff"

This works great until the connection drops and comes back up again,
the alias goes away.

If I run ifconfig in the jail, there's no inet line and I can not
access the web server.

However if I run the following and restart the jail, it works again:
    ifconfig re0 192.168.1.200 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

Obviously this is not ideal because there would be a lot of downtime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.