Low Hanging Kernel Fruit on Networking Wiki

Ian Kronquist iankronquist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:34:27 UTC 2015

Hello,
I'd like to get my feet wet contributing to the FreeBSD Kernel's networking
stack.
The wiki has a section titled Low Hanging Kernel Fruit. I found something
in there which isn't ticketed but looks like something I might be able to
write.
* Reject non-broadcast destinations passed to IP_ONESBCAST with a
meaningful error.

However, I also noticed this comment further down the page "Deprecate hacks
like IP_ONESBCAST as they will then no longer be needed." This comment is a
little odd because that symbol is mentioned in the man page and is kind of
part of the public API.

Would this be an appropriate issue to try and solve? If so, can I get more
details on exactly where these IP destinations would be passed in? Are we
looking at a check in the plumbing supporting sendto and similar socket
syscalls?

Thanks,
Ian Kronquist