ixl 40G bad performance?

Pieper, Jeffrey E jeffrey.e.pieper at intel.com
Mon Oct 26 14:38:12 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Eggert, Lars
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 2:28 AM
To: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-net at freebsd.org; Daniel Engberg <daniel.engberg.lists at pyret.net>
Subject: Re: ixl 40G bad performance?

On 2015-10-26, at 4:38, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Daniel Engberg <
> daniel.engberg.lists at pyret.net> wrote:
>
>> One thing I've noticed that probably affects your performance benchmarks
>> somewhat is that you're using iperf(2) instead of the newer iperf3 but I
>> could be wrong...
>
> iperf3 is not a newer version of iperf. It is a total re-write and a rather
> different tool. It has significant improvements in many areas and new
> capabilities that might be of use. That said, there is no reason to think
> that the results of tests using iperf2 are in any way inaccurate. However,
> it is entirely possible to get misleading results if options not properly
> selected.
>
>FWIW, I've been using netperf and tried various options.
>
>I don't think the issues is the benchmarking tool. I think the issue is TSO/LRO issues (per my earlier email.)
>
>Lars

With the latest ixl component from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25160/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCI-E-40-Gigabit-Network-Connections-under-FreeBSD-

running on 10.2 amd64, I easily get 9.6 Gb/s with one netperf stream, either b2b or through a switch. This is with no driver/kernel tuning. Running 4 streams easily gets me 36 GB/s.

Jeff