is polling still a thing?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Jan 27 22:34:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 05:08:27PM -0500, Antoine Beaupr? wrote:
> On 2015-01-27 13:57:20, wishmaster wrote:
> > Have you consider to use netmap-based ipfw instead pf in DDoS mitigation? I think you should. And without any network ''haks'' like polling.
>
> My understanding of netmap was that it wasn't useful for packet
> forwarding, because its design is for transmitting packets directly to
> userland faster, whereas routers dataflow stay mostly in the router...

i think the suggestion was to have let netmap-ipfw
drop the traffic you don't want to deal with, and then
inject the remaining ones into the kernel where
the processing occurs -- possibly even using pf or
a different firewall

There are people using netmap-ipfw on external physical
boxes exactly in this way -- as a "bump in the wire",
but it is trivial to run it on the same machine.

cheers
luigi