Fwd: Adding new media types to if_media.h

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Mon Feb 9 02:49:26 UTC 2015

Alfred wrote:
> On 2/8/15 2:41 PM, Mike Karels wrote:
> >
> > To solve the second problem, I think the right approach would be to reduce
> > this interface to a truly generic one, such as media type (e.g. Ethernet),
> > generic flags, and perhaps generic status.  Then there should be a separate
> > media-specific interface for each type, such as Ethernet and 802.11.  To a
> > small extent, we already have that.  Solving the second, more general problem,
> > requires a whole new driver KPI that will require surgery to every driver,
> > which is not an exercise that I would consider.
> >

> > I am willing to do a prototype for -current for evaluation.
> >
> > Comments, alternatives, ?
> Mike,

> I think we have enough people to chip in that your concern about
> breaking the KPI is not as bad as you think.

> Would like to hear the first correct + long term + less hackish proposal
> first.

> Norse has a kernel team that is heavily invested in networking that can
> help with the transition.

> If done right, likely renaming ALL of the macros it will be quite
> trivial to catch all bad cases and move us forward in one great leap.

Don't forget that the KPI is not the only part.  Breaking the user-level
interface (API/ABI are almost the same) gets into ports and other important
software that is harder to change.  A new KPI could still provide a compatible
API, but would be much constrained.  And fwiw, I don't see the advantage to
be gained unless the 802.11 software would be much improved.  I'm not the
one to weigh in on that.

		Mike