ix(intel) vs mlxen(mellanox) 10Gb performance

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Aug 17 12:21:21 UTC 2015

Daniel Braniss wrote:

> > On Aug 17, 2015, at 1:41 PM, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > FYI, I can regularly hit 9.3 Gib/s with my Intel X520-DA2's and FreeBSD
> > 10.1. Before 10.1 it was less.
> >

> this is NOT iperf/3 where i do get close to wire speed,
> it’s NFS writes, i.e., almost real work :-)
>
> > I used to tweak the card settings, but now it's just stock. You may want to
> > check your settings, the Mellanox may just have better defaults for your
> > switch.

Have you tried disabling TSO for the Intel? With TSO enabled, it will be copying
every transmitted mbuf chain to a new chain of mbuf clusters via. m_defrag() when
TSO is enabled. (Assuming you aren't an 82598 chip. Most seem to be the 82599 chip
these days?)

This has been fixed in the driver very recently, but those fixes won't be in 10.1.

rick
ps: If you could test with 10.2, it would be interesting to see how the ix does with
    the current driver fixes in it?