Testing Congestion Control Algorithms

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Thu Apr 23 07:37:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 2015-4-23, at 09:17, Karlis Laivins <karlis.laivins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on a modification of TCP NewReno congestion control
> algorithm. It seems that I have been able to write a working module.
>
> Now, I am looking for a way to test the performance of the built-in
> congestion control algorithms and the new algorithm. I have heard about the
> NS-2 simulator, and I am trying to compile and configure it now, but that's
> just a statistical tool (from what I hear) and the results are far from
> reality (please correct me, if I am wrong).
>
> Please recommend a tool or way I can test the performance of the congestion
> control algorithm in a "real" environment (sender side - 2 Computers, one
> connected to the wireless network, other to a wire, receiver - one PC,
> running FTP server, both senders each sending a big file at the same time).
> I would like to get comparable performance results from each of the
> existing congestion control algorithm as well as the new one I have created
> by modifying the NewReno algorithm.

I think you are moving away from the scope where freebsd-net is the correct mailing list.

There are literally thousands of research papers comparing congestion control algorithms and other TCP improvements. I suggest you check some of those (Sally Floyd's papers http://www.icir.org/floyd/ are still a good starting point) and read up on what the ICCRG has done: https://irtf.org/iccrg

Lars