Recognizing & using a Broadcom wireless mini-PCI card?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 10 15:28:43 UTC 2015

My current laptop (Dell Precision M4800) mostly works well under
FreeBSD; one of its shortcomings is that the wireless card with which it
came shows up as :

none1 at pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x00171028 chip=0x43b114e4 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    class      = network

After reading bwn(4) a bit, I had thought/hoped that perhaps the
lack of recognition of the device was because I hadn't loaded the kernel modules that bwn(4) cited.  So I tried inserting:

if_bwn_load="YES"
# siba_bwn_load="YES"
bwn_v4_lp_ucode_load="YES"
bwn_v4_ucode_load="YES"

into /boot/loader.conf & rebooting (to ensure that the modules were
present as early as possible... no joy: the above was obtained after
such a reboot.

As a circumvention, I've swpped the iwn(4) card in from my revious
laptop, but it's not exactly ideal, either.

How might I help get the above-described Broadcom device functional
in a FreeBSD environment?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Those who murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.