How do I balance bandwidth over several virtual NICs?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 23 14:36:55 UTC 2014

On 23 September 2014 01:36, Alexander V. Chernikov <melifaro at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 22.09.2014 23:46, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> * grab an ixgbe NIC and the -HEAD driver; (or cxgbe - I haven't gone
>> and written RSS programming code for that just yet);
>> * patch it to use a symmetric RSS key;
>> * configure up N queues;
>> * run an instance of snort on each TX/RX ring from the NIC.
> Oh, wow.
> I have a low priority task to do that.
> Nice to see this in stock fbsd!
>

>> The last step requires that you have snort use netmap rather than just
>> straight bpf - or maybe somehow there's a way to glue bpf into a
>> single netmap ring.
> I've wrote snort netmap DAG once, but it does not play well w/o
> symmetric rss.
> I've see if I can share it.

That'd be great!

I'll see if I can get -HEAD enabled with an optional symmetric RSS key.

It shouldn't be too difficult. The problem is the current RSS setup
uses the same key for all NICs.
I _guess_ that isn't going to /really/ be a problem here - unless you
really want your server to serve lots of traffic /and/ snort :)

Then we just need a netmap enabled snort :)

-a