[netmap/vale-ctl] when could process packet

upyzl zj262144 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:45:45 UTC 2014

Hi Luigi,

glad to see you :)

I just implement the datapath of the switch (base on openflow 1.0)

For the basis, a FreeBSD act as the switch
typical topo: (there should be a controller link with the switch, we
currently ignore it)

host1[eth0] -------- [em0]switch[em1] ------- [eth0]host2
                           [em2]     [em3]
                               |         |
host3[eth0] --------------|         |----------------[eth0]host4

In OpenFlow std. there may be some rules like (just an example):
TCP packet: host1 --> host 3 & host 4

I think I should analysis all incoming em0 packets which match the
rules(flow table), forward only matched packets to em2 & em3 (forward
itself using netmap)

( I use like this:
./vale-ctl -a vale0:em0
./vale-ctl -a vale0:em1
./vale-ctl -a vale0:em2
./vale-ctl -a vale0:em3

then host1 send packets )

the point is, I don't know when/where to process it before forwarding ( as
vale.ctl.c is very simple... I could do the match on bridge.c with 2
interfaces)

Additional, I don't use OpenvSwitch since it's too complex (conclusion of
talked with my advisor)

Thanks!
Jaye