random "Can't allocate memory" from sshd

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Tue Sep 2 14:47:48 UTC 2014

2014-09-02 Larry Rosenman wrote:
> random "Can't allocate memory" from sshd
> I've had this issue for a while on 10 and 11....
>
> merrily working along, in an SSH session, or doing zfs send/recv over
> ssh
> and randomly I'll get a "can't allocate memory" from sshd and the
> session
> gets killed.
>
> There is PLENTY of memory on the free list (>500meg).
> What can I do to catch what is having an issue, and better yet, fix it?
> What diagnostics do I need?

Possibly/likely a network resources issue, check these threads:

Bumping up a default net.graph.maxdata to avoid "Write failed: Cannot
allocate memory"
   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2014-July/039347.html

zfs send/recv: STILL invalid Backup Stream

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2014-July/051391.html

Mark