Very bad Realtek problems

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Tue Oct 28 03:44:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:50:20AM +0900, Yonghyeon PYUN wrote:

> Currently re(4) heavily relies on power on default settings since no
> detailed register configuration is not available. Some register
> configurations made in Windows can survive from warm boot.

Alright, a cold boot doesn't help. I froze up on an rsync, and observed these
stats:

re0 statistics:
Tx frames : 209681
Rx frames : 27559
Tx errors : 0
Rx errors : 0
Rx missed frames : 0
Rx frame alignment errs : 0
Tx single collisions : 0
Tx multiple collisions : 0
Rx unicast frames : 27548
Rx broadcast frames : 9
Rx multicast frames : 2
Tx aborts : 0
Tx underruns : 0

I rebooted with MSI and MSI-X disabled, and it broke again on an rsync. I
observed:

re0 statistics:
Tx frames : 416065
Rx frames : 47783
Tx errors : 0
Rx errors : 0
Rx missed frames : 0
Rx frame alignment errs : 0
Tx single collisions : 0
Tx multiple collisions : 0
Rx unicast frames : 47757
Rx broadcast frames : 24
Rx multicast frames : 2
Tx aborts : 0
Tx underruns : 0

The multicast frames seem to coincide with interface lock-ups.

This time to correct I said ifconfig re0 down; ifconfig re0 up. It came back
but the rsync died.

I'll be happy to provide further debugging information once I know how to
collect it.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason at blisses.org          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I