Trivia: Puzzling eBay response (IP 10.2.98.245)

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:55:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <CADy1Ce563EdYNeRasoHC-GyuXusNujkrdkdQSXQF6X52trUv0Q at mail.gmail.com>
> Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
>>> The password change request was made from:
>>> - IP address: 69.62.255.118
>>> - ISP host: 10.2.98.245
>>> ===========================================================================
>>>
>>> So, I mean, WTF?
>>>
>>> 69.62.255.118 is indeed my correct static IP address, and is indeed the
>>> place from whence I changed my password yesterday.
>>>
>>> I really do wonder where the bleep they got 10.2.98.245 from.
>>>
>>> Obviously, that's an RFC1918 address.
>>>
>>> I do suspect that that IP address has a lot more to do with them, and with
>>> the geography of their own internal network than it has to do with _my_ ISP.
>>
>>Rather than incompetence, I'd first suspect Carrier Grade NAT.
>
> Please elaborate.  What is it, exactly, that you are suggesting actually
> has been assigned the RFC1918 address in question?
>
> Some box on eBay's network?
>
> Some box on my ISPs network?
>
> If the latter, then how exactly does this RFC1918 address end up getting
> routed to eBay?

I expect eBay performed a traceroute to your public address, and that
a box on your ISP's network has the 10.2.98.245 address and emitted it
as the last hop before your public address. That's far from certain,
but it's the first thing I'd think.

Kurt