Allowing CARP to use arbitrary OUI prefix and allocating block from FreeBSD's OUI space assignment for that

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at freebsd.org
Thu May 8 13:50:10 UTC 2014

Thu, May 08, 2014 at 05:32:28PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Thu, May 08, 2014 at 12:08:28PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > People need to talk.   The fact that your server guys use a
> > non-unique Ethernet address for CARP without talking to their local
> > authority who’s in charge of the network first is nothing you can
> > fix changing the number.   The fact that multiple deployments on the
> > same subnet might exist is nothing a number change will fix.   I
> > think the RFC uses the word “coordinate”.
>
> People need to talk, yes.  But do BGP heads will announce the
> technical details of what they are doing to the Squid cluster guys
> (picking protocol and software names arbitrary)?  Not sure.  Hell,
> I am sure they won't.
>
> And if we speak about RFCs: we need protocol specifications at all not
> only because people should know how they work, but also to avoid
> messing (perhaps unintentionally) some technical details of the
> protocols making different ones to bring havoc if used together.
>
> That's why VRRP for IPv6 has its own OUI space and that's why CARP
> needs its own OUI space: it is a different protocol from VRRP, so we
> should minimize clashes at all levels.  IANA/IETF could have said "oh
> dear, L2 domain admins must coordinate their IPv4 and IPv6 VRRP
> things, so let's reuse 00-00-5E-00-01 space".  But they minimised
> confusion where they could and that's a good thing to do.

By the way,
  http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=139955603603070&w=2
So the new OUI assignment is already in place, it will be interesting
what will be done next and if this patch will be accepted by OpenBSD.
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]