IPv6: "xxx::x already configured" in logs... why?

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 20 04:09:03 UTC 2014

Larry Rosenman <ler at lerctr.org> wrote
  in <20140619140801.GA65420 at thebighonker.lerctr.org>:

le> > le> Ideas? (I may be an idiot, so any criticism welcomed).
le> > le>
le> > le> if you need the 1841's config, I can supply that as well.  It's using a Hurricane
le> > le> electric Tunnel.
le> >
le> >  How frequent were the log message added into /var/log/messages?  And
le> >  when did it start to happen after boot.  Just after lagg0 is
le> >  configured?
le> >
le> > -- Hiroki
le> Looks like:
le>
le> Jun 12 07:00:01 thebighonker kernel: in6_ifadd: 2001:470:1f0f:3ad:223:7dff:fe9e:6e8a is already configured

 Thank you.  Three more questions:

 1. output of "ifconfig lagg0", "ifconfig bce0", and "ifconfig bce1".

 2. output of "netstat -s -i".

 3. output of "ndp -p".

 The cause of the message is that the automatically-configured address
 is not recognized as "configured" one and FreeBSD IPv6 stack is
 trying to add it every time a Router Advertisement message is
 received.  I am still not sure why it happened, but the above three
 would help for further investigation.

-- Hiroki