Network loss

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 16:01:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> And please email if you try it and let us know if it helps.
>
> I've think I've figured out how 64K NFS read replies can do this,
> but I'll admit "ping" is a mystery? (Doesn't it just send a single
> packet that would be in a single mbuf?)

ixgbe currently returns an error from its if_transmit function if it
gets an error sending *any* packet that is queued for transmit.  So if
there is a 64K NFS request queued then ping could see an EFBIG error.
I can't explain the packet loss, unless ping is counting errors from
send() as lost packets (which would be completely reasonable).