rpcbind & TCP wrappers

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 24 19:11:49 UTC 2014

Hi.

I've made benchmark to test rpcbind performance and discovered very
interesting numbers: on my test machine our present rpcbind is able to
handle only 12K RPCs per second, but building it without TCP wrappers
(libwrap) improves performance to 116K RPCs/sec. Obviously hosts.allow
parsing for each RPC is too expensive. Since rpcbind output is often
cached by the clients it may be not so huge problem, but still 10x
difference IMO worth some decision to be made there.

I've talked to several people and they agree that it is not very useful
to protect rpcbind since it is any way effectively read-only for other
hosts in default configuration. Since I expect some people may still
want it I've implemented patch disabling TCP wrappers in rpcbind by
default, but introducing new command line option -t to easily restore
functionality when needed: http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/libwrap.patch

Any comments or objections?

--
Alexander Motin